War Memorials Trust (“We”, “Our”, “Us”) is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
This policy (together with Our Terms and Conditions and any other documents referred to on it) sets out the basis on which any personal data We collect from you, or that you provide to Us, will be processed by Us. Please read the following carefully to understand Our views and practices regarding your personal data and how We will treat it.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the “Act”), the data controller is WAR MEMORIALS TRUST of 42a BUCKINGHAM PALACE ROAD, LONDON, SW1W 0RE. Registered Charity No: 1062255.
Our nominated representative for the purpose of the Act is the Director.
Information We may collect from you
We may collect the following information about you when you visit Our Site:
- All information that you provide by filling in forms on Our Site www.learnaboutwarmemorials.org (“Our Site”). We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with Our Site.
- If you contact Us, We may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that We use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of applications you make through Our Site.
- Details of your visits to Our Site and the resources that you access.
IP addresses and cookies
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type for system administration. This is statistical data about Our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
For the same reason, We may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that We store on your browser or the hard drive of your computer if you agree. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive.
They help Us to improve Our Site and to deliver a better and more personalised service. They enable Us:
- To estimate Our audience size and usage pattern.
- To store information about your preferences, and so allow Us to customise Our Site according to your individual interests.
- To speed up your searches.
- To recognise you when you return to Our Site.
We use the following cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of Our Site. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of Our Site, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
- Analytical/performance cookies. They allow Us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around Our Site when they are using it. This helps Us to improve the way Our Site works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
You can find more information about the individual cookies We use and the purposes for which We use them in the table below:
Session cookies enable Our Site to keep track of your movement from page to page so you don't get asked for the same information you've already given to Our Site. These cookies allow you to proceed through the pages of Our Site quickly and easily without having to authenticate or reprocess each new area you visit. They are automatically deleted when you close your web browser.
This cookie is essential for Our Site to:
To track which pages on Our Site are most commonly used, the number of visitors to Our Site, page views, which browsers are used, entry pages etc.
We use the information provided to help Us improve Our Site and identify the most popular pages.
Cookies last between one month and one year.
This cookie is set at the first load of the Add This application and is required to get access to Add This.
You block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of Our site.
You can also remove and disable cookies from Us by clicking here.
Except for essential cookies, all cookies will expire after the session.
Where We store your personal data
All information you provide to Us is stored on Our secure servers. The data that We collect from you may be transferred to, stored at, and used at a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA"). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for Us. Where We have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of Our Site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although We will do Our best to protect your personal data, We cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to Our Site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once We have received your information, We will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
What We do with the information We collect from you
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To ensure Our Site and its content is presented in the most effective way for you and your computer or device.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you have requested from Us, or which We feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To carry out Our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and Us.
- To notify you about changes to Our service.
- To populate Our Site’s Showcases where you have submitted information and agreed, by sending information, that details can appear.
- To improve Our Resources and services.
You have the right to ask Us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will inform you (before collecting your data) if We intend to use your data for such purposes or if We intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right by checking certain boxes on any forms we may use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting Us at email@example.com.
Our site contains links to and from the websites of Our partners, advertisers and affiliates, as well as links to Our other website, www.warmemorials.org. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own Privacy Policies. In accordance with Our Links policy, We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the content of websites of Our partners, advertisers and affiliates. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to information
The Data Protection Act 1998 (‘the Act’) gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet Our costs in providing you with the details of the information We hold about you.